The Haslemere String Competition offers talented young players a chance to gain significant solo concert exposure. Our judges have all been chosen not
only for their extensive experience but also for their ability to offer young players positive,
constructive insight and encouragement.
Next Competition – 2019
For 11-21 year olds of Grade 8 standard or above who live in the South West or the South East of England.
Details of the competition are currently being planned.
The first prize winner will play a concerto with The Waverley Ensemble at St Christophers Church Haslemere. Depending on sponsorship there may also be and opportunity to record a CD with them.
First Round March 2019 perform 20 min of contrasting repertoire.
Final Round | May 2019 | as part of The Haslemere Festival
Each finalist should perform the first movement of a concerto with piano.
All rounds are open to the public.
Judges for the first round will be drawn from the panel below:
Ishani Bhoola (Chairman)
Judging panel . Click here to see biographies of all the judges.
1. Entrants must be aged between 11 and 21 years, old, determined on the start and finish dates of the competition (so a minimum of 11 years old on January 21st 2017 and a maximum of 19 years old on May 18th 2019)
2. Competitors should provide either evidence of award of Grade 8 (or equivalent standard qualification) or a performance tape demonstrating a suitable level of proficiency if no formal grades have been taken.
Closing date for entries will be Jan 1st 2019. Entry fee is expected to be: £75
Further details will be posted in due course
The winners of the 2017 Competition were:
- Ketan Curtis Double Bass
- Alinka Rowe Viola, who performed with the Waverley Ensemble on 10 March 2018 at St Christopher’s Church Haslemere.
- 2nd prize to Will Duerden, double bass
Other finalists of the Haslemere String Competition will be performing a side by side chamber music concert on Saturday 26 May 26 2018 at St Christopher’s Church Haslemere.
The competition venues were:
- Rounds 1 at The Royal School, Farnham Lane, Haslemere (by kind permission of The Royal School)
- Final Round: St Christopher’s Church, Haslemere